Santander is located above the department of Boyacá which offers a wide variety with plains, mountains, canyons, rivers and caves. Many different climates, most warm to temperate, and in some places strong winds can also be found here.
The department has always been known for its agricultural potential, but since the 1930´s local governments have tried successfully to implement other growth strategies in industries such as manufacturing and tourism. Thanks to magic little villages and the departments’ capital Bucaramanga which is known as the cleanest city of Colombia as well as its stunning landscapes have made it a popular destination. It is also the destination of extreme sports and here, adventure lovers will find their place to be. Due to that it is also called "Land of adventure”.
Enjoy the beautiful countryside on rivers, canyons or up in the air and let this colored scenery take your breath away!
- San Gil (adventure capital of Colombia)
- Chicamocha NP
- Chicamocha National Park
- Chicamoca Canyon
- Cordillera de los Cobardes, mountain range bordering to Venezuela
- Cañón de Río Fonce
- Remember to use sunscreen since the sun might be stronger than expected even in places of high altitude
- Please bring insect repellent as you need it in most parts of Colombia
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration
- Please inform yourself about the recommended vaccinations for this region
Average Temperature: 24°C
- resistant footwear
- hormiga culona, roasted ants (only from March to May)
- sweet delicious chocolate
- Golfing on 2 courses
- Rafting in the rivers Fonce
- all other kinds of adventure sports
- rock climbing
- Cable Car over the Chicamocha Canyon~